Freeman Law Offices, LLC
Instantly connect with our office.
New Jersey & Pennsylvania Special Needs Lawyer Legal Victories Attorney Profile
Articles Articles Contact Us
Do I Need a Lawyer?
Your First Appointment
Our Services
Top 10 Most Overlooked Legal Entitlements
Press Release: Hillary Freeman Awarded Robin Sims Trailblazer Award
Insurance Coverage For Mental Health and ABA Therapy
Accessing Mental Health Services
Are ESL Students Falling through the Cracks?
Evaluations: Differences between District, Independent, and Private Evaluation
FAPE: What is 'Appropriate' Anyway?
Medical Necessity Legislation Passes Out of Senate Committee
Planning the Future of your Special Needs Child
Preparing for your IEP meeting
Protecting Your Child from Inappropriate Punishments
A Brief Guide to Analyzing Your Child's IEP
Protecting your Special Needs Child During a Divorce
Stay-Put in Special Education
The IEP must contain measurable goals
Transition Planning Article
What Constitutes the Least Restrictive Environment?
Will an Extended School Year/Extended School Day benefit your Child?

Click to view our Facebook Profile Click to view our Twitter Page

Accessing Supports for Individuals with a Mental Illness

By Hillary D. Freeman, Esq.

Children with emotional disturbances and related behavioral disorders are often overlooked for appropriate special education and related services. Instead, they are being categorized as "behavioral problems" in their classrooms.

Average students who have behavioral issues and/or a mental illness may still be eligible for special education and related services even if he or she is passing classes. To be eligible for special education and related services, the student's disability must adversely impact their educational performance and he or she must require specially designed instruction to benefit from the educational program. For example, it is not uncommon for children to exhibit behaviors that lead to being suspended or expelled from school. It goes without saying that if a student's disability leads him or her to miss classes, educational performance will likely be affected.

Likewise, if the student's behaviors or emotional state is not improving with regular education services, he or she may be eligible for individualized services through a Section 504 Accommodation Plan or IEP. These services may include but not be limited to accommodations such as extended time on exams or extra time to complete work, frequent breaks, as well as related services that include but are not limited to individual counseling, therapeutic day programming and in some cases, residential treatment.

In addition to accessing services in school, services may be available through an agency known as Value Options. This agency coordinates services offered by the Division of Child Behavior Health Services (DCBHS). It provides one point of contact for all publicly funded services that include a comprehensive range of behavioral, emotional, and mental health treatments for New Jersey’s children and their families from emergency/crisis management to less intensive treatment plans.

When reviewing the needs of a child with a mental illness, keep in mind that parental rights are affected as the child gets older. If you are concerned that your child will not act in his or her own best interests, consider filing an application for Guardianship or seek similar alternatives to Guardianship that will help protect your child in his or her own time of need.

Click here to read about "How to Protect your Child from Inappropriate Punishment".

Contact Freeman Law Offices, LLC today by calling (609) 454-5609 or by using the "Contact Us" form on our website to learn whether additional services are available to help your loved one.

Freeman Law Offices, LLC - New Jersey & Pennsylvania Special Needs Attorney
Freeman Law Offices, LLC - New Jersey Special Needs Attorney
Located at 103 Carnegie Center, Suite 101 Princeton, NJ 08540. View Map
Phone: (609) 454-6661 | Local Phone: (609) 454-5609.