Freeman Law Offices, LLC
Instantly connect with our office.
New Jersey & Pennsylvania Special Needs Lawyer Legal Victories Attorney Profile
Articles Articles Contact Us
Do I Need a Lawyer?
Your First Appointment
Our Services
Accessing Adult Services
Entitlements to Special Education
Estate Planning
Pro Bono Speaking Engagements
Rights in Higher Education

Click to view our Facebook Profile Click to view our Twitter Page

Guardianship for Adults with Disabilities

Individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental illness often have difficulty caring for themselves or managing their finances independently. For this reason, the law permits parents, siblings, and other caregivers to petition the Court to be appointed as guardian of their loved ones with special needs when he or she turn 18 years of age.

There are two types of guardianship:

  • Guardianship of the Person: allows the guardian to make decisions regarding every day activities such as educational needs; appropriate living arrangements, access to medical records and consent to medical treatment.
  • Guardianship of the Property: allows the guardian to make decisions regarding the finances of their loved one. Specifically, the guardian shall act in the best interest of their loved one to preserve his or her own assets. This includes opening and closing bank accounts, paying bills on the individual's behalf, and signing contracts on the individual's behalf.

With limited exceptions, the guardian does not become liable for the actions of their loved one nor does the guardian assume any financial responsibility towards the individual. The guardian is only responsible to protect the assets of their loved one and ensure that he or she is safe. Once appointed as guardian, this position is permanent unless revoked by the Court.


In some cases, individuals with disabilities may not need a caregiver to make all of their decisions on their behalf. In those instances, caregivers may choose another option to ensure their loved ones are cared for -- such as Conservatorship, Limited Guardianship, or Power of Attorney.

Call our office today to find out the options that are appropriate for your family's situation.

Freeman Law Offices, LLC - New Jersey & Pennsylvania Special Needs Attorney
Freeman Law Offices, LLC - New Jersey Special Needs Attorney
Located at 103 Carnegie Center, Suite 101 Princeton, NJ 08540. View Map
Phone: (609) 454-6661 | Local Phone: (609) 454-5609.