Guardianship for Adults with Disabilities In New Jersey & Pennsylvania

Guardianship For Adults With Intellectual Disabilities

Individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental illness often have difficulty caring for themselves or managing their finances independently. For this reason, the law permits parents, siblings, and other caregivers to petition the Court to be appointed as guardians of their loved ones with special needs when they turn 18 years of age. This appointed guardian then has the power to legally act on behalf of their loved one.

There are two types of guardianship:

  • Guardianship of the Person: allows the guardian to make decisions regarding everyday activities such as educational needs; appropriate living arrangements, access to medical records and consent to medical treatment.
  • Guardianship of the Property: allows the guardian to make decisions regarding the finances of their loved one. Specifically, the guardian shall act in the best interest of their loved one to preserve his or her own assets. This includes opening and closing bank accounts, paying bills on the individual's behalf, and signing contracts on the individual's behalf.

With limited exceptions, the guardian does not become liable for the actions of their loved one nor does the guardian assume any financial responsibility towards the individual. The guardian is only responsible for protecting the assets of their loved one and ensuring that he or she is safe. Once appointed as guardian, this position is permanent unless revoked by the Court.

Guardianship Limitations

Overall guardianships have limitations that are important to understand.

  • A guardian can request to add co-guardians to the guardianship, however, this requires court approval.
  • Guardianships are not permanent. The Department of Human Services Division of Developmental Disabilitiesannually will review the individual’s continuing need for guardianship.
  • In the event that a guardian dies, a successor is not automatic. Since only the court can change who has been appointed guardian or co-guardians, this is true even if the guardian’s will names a new guardian.
  • Parents of adult children have options to remain involved in medical issues without guardianship approval and might be asked as next-of-kin for consent in the event of a medical emergency.

In some cases, individuals with disabilities may not need a caregiver to make all of their decisions on their behalf. In those instances, caregivers may choose another option to ensure their loved ones are cared for -- such as Conservatorship, Limited Guardianship, or Power of Attorney.

Call our office today to find out the options that are appropriate for your family's situation. Our attorneys are here to help you!

Client Testimonials

  • Freeman Law Offices, LLC Hillary did not disappoint! I found her to be as caring and sensitive as she was informed and articulate.

    - Nancy V. Greene, M.S.

  • Freeman Law Offices, LLC Hillary is now stuck with us "for life." Thank you!

    - Client

  • Freeman Law Offices, LLC Hillary's expertise and compassion really stands out!

    - Client

  • Freeman Law Offices, LLC Hillary is compassionate and she is truly an asset to the autism community.

    - Simone

  • Freeman Law Offices, LLC Hillary Freeman was instrumental in both appropriate securing services while he was in the center and his transition back to the community.

    - Cyndy

  • Freeman Law Offices, LLC We are incredibly thankful that we were able to find Attorney Hillary Freeman to represent our son.

    - Client

Prev Next

Tell Us About Your Case

If you are seeking legal representation or consultation, please fill out our intake form and we will contact you.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.